The Global Research Network (GRN) was launched in October 2019 to support young and independent academics around the world. Recognising that the higher education sector is now in an era vastly different to that of the last century, we have created a space that is generous, collegial, and truly diverse. The network is member-based and primarily online. Shortly after launch there were a hundred members in the network, and we are now open to applications from new scholars. We hope to have academics from every single country represented here in 2021.
The only organisation of its kind, GRN is an active meeting place for early career faculty, researchers, independent scholars and doctoral students interested in new thinking about these issues. Members come from a truly diverse range of backgrounds and higher education institutions. Our common goal is that of connection and collaboration, which is needed more than ever as the greatest problems of the day transcend narrow fields of work.
We seek to support one another in a vocation that can be lonely, isolating, and intensely challenging. The GRN provides a new kind of interdisciplinary and inclusive space, facilitating long-term friendships, creative thinking, and genuine career support. Members are invited to reach out across national and institutional borders, and to share their experiences in life, study, and practice. The Network is for exceptional scholars but it is not elitist. It is inspiring but not intimidating. It offers an abundance of opportunities and perspectives that enrich the scholar, the work, and the field.
We welcome scholars from all disciplines, from BAME (black and minority ethnic) and LDC (least developed country) backgrounds. To promote inclusivity, contributions are kept low and scholars ‘at risk’ and asylum seekers are eligible for free membership. Most universities with a research budgets will reimburse this administration fee for membership.
Benefits of Membership
- A professional online profile (including video) highlighting your work that will remain with you as you move between institutions and countries
- Access to tangible support from an active community of junior and senior scholars around the world
- Associate membership of our Think Tank, with the opportunity to shape global policy on the key issues of our day
- Monthly social and professional networking opportunities through our coffeehouse meetings and research discussion groups, in a timezone that suits you
- Opportunity to present papers as part of the GRN live-streamed Global Seminar Series
- The opportunity to connect with publishers and faculty members
- Free and/or priority tickets to our regular workshops for early career researchers